Skip to main content

Generator Identification Numbers and Manifests

Information presented in this publication is intended to provide a general understanding of the statutory and regulatory requirements governing generator identification numbers and manifests. This information is not intended to replace, limit or expand upon the complete statutory and regulatory requirements found in the Illinois Environmental Protection Act and Title 35 of the Illinois Administrative Code of Regulations. If you need additional information, please refer to the contact information at the end of this fact sheet.

If you generate waste, it is your responsibility to determine how to properly manage and dispose of the waste. This fact sheet discusses special waste, who must obtain a generator identification number, and who must use uniform hazardous waste manifests, which are required for both nonhazardous and hazardous special waste. Depending on the types and amounts of waste generated, a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) and/or Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (Illinois EPA) generator identification number may be needed. The first step in determining if an identification number is needed is to identify the types and amounts of waste generated.  

Special Waste

Special waste includes hazardous waste, potentially infectious medical waste (PIMW), industrial process waste, and pollution control waste. These wastes must be managed at a permitted facility regardless of the amount of waste generated. Only decertified special waste may be placed with regular trash.

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous waste regulations are associated with three categories of hazardous waste generators. The categories are based on the amount of hazardous waste generated per month. In order to determine the specific requirements, the appropriate category must be determined: 

  • Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) generate or accumulate less than 100 kilograms (kg) or 220 pounds (lbs.) per month of hazardous waste or less than 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) per month of acutely hazardous waste.

  • Small-Quantity Generators (SQG) generate or accumulate 100 kg (220 lbs.) to 1,000 kg (2,200 lbs.) per month of hazardous waste or less than 1 kg (or about 1 quart) of acutely hazardous waste per month.

  • Large-Quantity Generators (LQG) generate or accumulate over 1,000 kg (2,200 lbs. or about 250 gallons) per month of hazardous waste or over 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) per month of acutely hazardous waste.

To determine the hazardous waste generator category, add up the weight or volume of all the hazardous wastes generated per month. The quantity cannot be averaged, it must be determined monthly.

Identification Numbers

If you are an SQG or LQG of hazardous waste, you must obtain and use a U.S. EPA identification number. The U.S. EPA uses a 12-character number that starts with the postal code of the state in which the generator is located to monitor and track hazardous waste activities. You will need to use your identification number when you send hazardous waste off site for management and disposal.

If you generate over 100 kg (220 lbs.) of any kind of special waste, you must obtain and use an Illinois EPA identification number. The state of Illinois uses this 10-digit number to monitor and track special waste activities. You will need to use your identification number when you send special waste off site for management and disposal.

If you have waste-generating operations on contiguous properties, you are not required to obtain a U.S. EPA or an Illinois EPA identification number for each property. If your properties are not contiguous, you will be required to obtain a U.S. EPA and Illinois EPA identification number for each property. 

CESQGs are not required to have U.S. EPA or Illinois EPA generator identification numbers. However, CESQGs should ask both the facility accepting their waste and the waste hauler if they require manifests. If either do require manifests, you need to apply for an Illinois EPA generator identification number.

To obtain the U.S. EPA identification number application, contact the Illinois EPA and ask for a copy of EPA Form 8700-12, “Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity.” You will be sent a booklet that contains a form with instructions. To complete these forms, you need to know the hazardous waste code for your hazardous waste. Waste codes are included in the instruction booklet.

To obtain the Illinois EPA identification number application, contact the Illinois EPA and ask for a copy of the “Illinois EPA Inventory Identification Number Application.” You will be sent a form with instructions. To complete this form, you need to know the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code for your business type. A list of NAICS codes will be included with the instructions. The Illinois identification number application as well as EPA 8700-12 can also be found on Illinois EPA’s webpage on the  Generator Forms page.  

Send both the U.S. EPA and Illinois EPA completed applications to the following address:

Illinois EPA
Division of Records Management #16
1021 North Grand Avenue East
P.O. Box 19276
Springfield, Illinois 62794-9276

Both the U.S. EPA and Illinois EPA identification numbers stay with the property when ownership changes. If you move your business, you must notify Illinois EPA of your new location and submit new forms.

Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifests

Depending on the types and amounts of waste you generate, you may need to use uniform hazardous waste manifests to ship your special waste (hazardous as well as nonhazardous) from your facility.

The Illinois Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest is a multi-copy shipping document that tracks hazardous waste from its point of generation to the treatment, storage, and disposal facility (TSDF). The manifest is required by the U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. EPA and Illinois EPA. It allows the waste generator to confirm that the waste has been properly delivered and that no waste has been lost or unaccounted for.

All SQGs and LQGs of special waste, including hazardous, nonhazardous, pollution control and industrial process, must use a Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest when shipping waste to any off-site location.

To obtain Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifests, which are required for all special waste (hazardous and non-hazardous) generated in Illinois or destined for Illinois, you may order from any USEPA approved printer, or to order from Illinois EPA, follow the instructions below. The cost is $3.00 per manifest for Hazardous Waste Manifest and $4.00 per manifest for PIMW Manifest.

Regular Order Purchase - If you'd like to place an order and pay by check but need a request form, visit our web site or call (217) 524-3300 and choose the number six for All Other Calls. 

The manifest contains information on the type and quantity of waste being transported, instructions for handling the waste, and signature lines for all parties involved in the waste disposal process. The Illinois Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest contains an original, plus five NCR copies. A description of who keeps each part is printed at the bottom of each page. The manifest completion process is summarized below:

  • The Generator signs the manifest certification by hand and obtains the signature of the transporter and date of waste acceptance on the manifest. The transporter signs the manifest acknowledging the type and amount of waste is correctly listed on the manifest.
  • The generator retains the designated copy, giving the transporter the remaining copies. The TSDF sends the designated copy back to the generator, confirming that the waste has been received. The generator reviews the information and ensures that no waste is unaccounted for. The generator is responsible for ensuring that the transporter and TSD manage the waste properly. Keep the copy signed by the TSD on file for at least three years.

If a generator does not receive a copy of the manifest signed by the TSDF within 30 days of the date that the waste was accepted by the initial transporter, the generator should contact both the transporter and the TSDF to obtain a replacement photocopy. If this does not resolve the problem, the generator must file an exception letter with Illinois EPA within 60 days. The exception letter should be addressed to the Illinois EPA Bureau of Land - Solid Waste Management Section and state that your facility did not receive a signed copy of the manifest (Part 1) from the TSDF and include steps you have taken to attempt to resolve the problem.

Annual Hazardous Waste Report

Depending on the type, amounts and destination of waste generated, submittal; of an annual waste report may be required. If you are a hazardous waste LQG or are a hazardous waste TSDF, you are required to file an “Annual Hazardous Waste Report” by March 1 of each year. Forms within the “Annual Hazardous Waste Report” that your business must complete are based on your generator size and on-site waste management status. Forms and instructions for completion are provided in the report or on the Illinois EPA website on the Land Forms page.

Nonhazardous Special Waste Annual Report

The Illinois Pollution Control Board has changed the 35 Ill. Adm. Code 809 rules. This means that nonhazardous special waste generators will no longer have to submit a Nonhazardous Special Waste Annual Report for nonhazardous special wastes that are shipped out of state. Effective July 16, 2015, generators are no longer required to submit any manifest copies to Illinois EPA. If you are a nonhazardous special waste TSDF and receive waste from off site, you are required to file a  Nonhazardous Special Waste Annual Report" by February 1 of each year. If you have trouble opening the pdf links, try right-clicking and saving the file, then open the pdf in Adobe Acrobat outside of your browser.

Additional Information

For questions about waste determinations and whether manifests are needed, please contact the Illinois EPA Bureau of Land Permit Section at 217-524-3300. For an automotive repair and/or auto body shop that has been told by the Secretary of State that ID numbers are required, if you generate under 220 pounds or 26 gallons of Hazardous Waste monthly you can use the Certificate of Exemption.

To obtain ID numbers, use the links above for the forms or call the Illinois EPA Records Unit at (217) 782-3559. To obtain or renew Special Waste Hauler permits, or for questions about your permit, call (217) 782-6070.