Office of Environmental Justice
The Office of Environmental Justice coordinates Illinois EPA’s integration of environmental justice into Agency activities such as permitting, rulemaking, and compliance.
Staff in the Office of Environmental Justice perform the following duties on a day-to-day basis:
- Distribute EJ notification letters – part of enhanced public outreach to individuals, elected officials, community groups, and other interested parties about permit applications received by the Illinois EPA
- Distribute information related to local, state, and federal EJ activities via the Illinois EPA EJ Listserv – includes EJ guidance, funding opportunities, engagement opportunities, and more
- Develop EJ program policies, establish program priorities, and make recommendations for program developments
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with stakeholders and community groups
- Integrate EJ and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 principles into the Agency’s operations, programs, and policies including investigation of complaints processed in accordance with the Illinois EPA Grievance Procedure
- Provide Spanish translation services
- Provide administrative support to the Illinois Commission on EJ and represent the Illinois EPA as a commissioner
To learn more about the Office of EJ’s detailed responsibilities and strategies used to implement EJ activities, please visit the Agency’s EJ webpage.