Commission on Environmental Justice
Chris Pressnall, Environmental Justice Officer, Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, 217-524-1284
The principle of environmental justice requires that no segment of the population, regardless of race, national origin, age, or income, should bear disproportionately high or adverse effects of environmental pollution.
The Commission shall:
- advise State entities on environmental justice and related community issues
- review and analyze the impact of current State laws and policies on the issue of environmental justice and sustainable communities
- assess the adequacy of State and local laws to address the issue of environmental justice and sustainable communities
- develop criteria to assess whether communities in the State may be experiencing environmental justice issues
- recommend options to the Governor for addressing issues, concerns, or problems related to environmental justice that surface after reviewing State laws and policies, including prioritizing areas of the State that need immediate attention.
The Environmental Protection Agency shall provide administrative and other support to the Commission.
Initial members: 5 shall serve for a 2-year term and 5 shall serve for a 1-year term; thereafter 2-year terms.
- Illinois Environmental Justice Act
- Illinois Commission on EJ Flyer
- Open Meetings Act Fact Sheet
- 2013 - Yearly Report to Governor and Legislative Leaders
- 2014 - Yearly Report to Governor and Legislative Leaders
- 2015 - Yearly Report to Governor and Legislative Leaders
- 2016 - Yearly Report to Governor and Legislative Leaders
- 2017 - Yearly Report to Governor and Legislative Leaders
- 2018 - Yearly Report to Governor and Legislative Leaders
- Commission Membership and Fact Sheet
- Commission Details
Illinois Commission on Environmental Justice
- Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Jemez Principles for democratic organizing
by Rubén Solís, Southwest Public Workers Union; and Chair of the SNEEJ Border Justice Campaign
- People of Color Environmental Justice - "Principles of Working Together"
- Principles of Environmental Justice
- Environmental Justice Questionnaires from State Agencies
- Brownfields Resources
- Experiences With Brownfields Cleanup and Reuse in Illinois Municipalities
- Returns to Brownfields Investments
- How Can You Help Environmental Justice Communities Create an Oasis in a Food Desert?
- One Prescription for Healthier Brownfield Communities - A Community Clinic Please!
- USEPA's Land Revitalization Team (Jim Van der Kloot)
- Delta Institute in Chicago
- USEPA's Technical Assistance to Brownfields Communities Program
- Brownfields Cleanup and Reuse in Illinois Municipalities