Skip to main content



The Pesticides: Use and Regulation page at the Illinois Department of Agriculture’s web site provides information about private and commercial agricultural pesticide application and searchable databases of pesticide dealers, pesticide applicators, and registered pesticides.

Meth Labs

The Illinois Department of Public Health's web site contains information on a broad range of meth-related subjects, including a Fighting Meth section for farmers.

Underground Tanks

The Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal (OSFM) is responsible for regulating the daily operation of underground storage tank (UST) systems. The OSFM requires registration and a permit for the removal, repair, installation or abandonment of farm USTs greater than 1,100 gallons in capacity.

The Illinois EPA is responsible for regulating the cleanup of releases from UST systems. The tank system is then considered a leaking underground storage tank (leaking UST) and is subject to the requirements of the Leaking UST regulations. The Illinois EPA administers a reimbursement fund to reimburse tank owner/operators for costs associated with corrective action. Eligibility and deductible amounts are determined by the OSFM. Although farm USTs with less than 1,100 gallons capacity are exempt from the OSFM and Illinois EPA regulations, the tank owner/operator may be liable for a release which threatens human health or the environment under other provisions of the Environmental Protection Act.


The Illinois EPA is delegated authority by the USEPA to enforce the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP). NESHAP regulates asbestos during demolition and renovation of structures, including farm structures. A Notification of Demolition and Renovation Form must be submitted to the Agency for all demolition or renovation activities if the amount of regulated asbestos containing material exceeds 160 square feet or 260 linear feet. More information may be found on our asbestos webpage.

General Storm Water Permit

You will need a General Storm Water Permit for Construction Activities if your construction project disturbs 1 or more acres of land through clearing, grading, or excavating.