300 West LLC/The Arnold Engineering Co.
300 North West Street, Marengo, McHenry County, Illinois
The Arnold Engineering Co., sometimes referred to locally as the Arnold Magnetic Technologies Corporation, (“Arnold”) operates at 300 North West Street in Marengo, (the “Site”), and 300 West LLC (“300 West”) owns the property on which Arnold operates.
Following its receipt of a referral from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, on June 14, 2013, the Illinois Attorney General’s Office (IAGO) filed a Complaint in the McHenry County Circuit Court against 300 West and Arnold (the “Defendants”), Case No. 13 CH 1046, for alleged groundwater and soil contamination at the Site that was migrating off-Site, including into residential water wells. Historical chlorinated solvent use at the Site is presumed to be the cause of the chemical contamination to local groundwater. In March 2015, the IAGO filed a First Amended Complaint against the Defendants.
The McHenry County Circuit Court entered Agreed Orders in June 2013, August 2013 and July 2014 (which was modified in March 2015 and May 2015), requiring the Defendants to:
- Provide bottled water to certain private well owners near the Site,
- Conduct quarterly sampling of certain private wells, and
- Conduct an on-site and off-site investigation to determine the nature and extent of the contamination, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and 1,4-dioxane, and the boundaries of the contamination, both laterally and vertically.
This webpage includes links to the First Amended Complaint, the Defendants’ answers to the First Amended Complaint, the Agreed Orders and modifications, the Illinois EPA’s June 2013 and August 2015 fact sheets and the quarterly reports that the Defendants have submitted to date in 2015. This webpage will be updated as new site-related documents are available for posting.
Additional documents not available on the webpage may be obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request. The Illinois EPA site identification number for the site is 170000116265. Please note that due to the pending litigation, certain information and documents may not be disclosed.
| Carol Fuller
Community Relations Coordinator
| Kathryn Pamenter
Assistant Attorney General
Office of the Illinois Attorney General
Notification Documents and Fact Sheet Updates
- Notice Letter - Search for Arnold Magnetic
- June 2013 Fact Sheet #1
- August 2015 Fact Sheet #2
- Conceptual Hydrogeologic Model
- October 17, 2016 Presentation to the Marengo Citizens Group on the Safety of the Marengo Community Water Supply
- Groundwater Contamination Plumes Emanating from 300 West/Arnold Map
- Delineated Capture Zones of the Marengo Community Water Supply Wells Map
Defendants’ 2015 Quarterly Reports