SRP Billing and Invoice Procedures
You have enrolled in the Site Remediation Program (SRP). As a participant in this program, you have agreed to pay for the oversight and review costs incurred by Illinois EPA personnel (35 Ill. Adm. Code 740.210(c)(4). You will be billed for these costs periodically, and the following information is provided to help you understand the invoice process
- The Remediation Applicant ("RA") must include with the Site Remediation Program Application and Services Agreement Form either:
- an advance partial payment of $500, or
- the RA may request, on the form provided, an estimate from Illinois EPA of the total cost of providing services and submit an amount equal to one-half of that estimate, or $5,000, whichever is less (35 Ill. Adm. Code 740.210(c)(5)).
- Illinois EPA's oversight costs will be compiled on a quarterly basis - every 3 months. Once the Illinois EPA's oversight and review costs have exceeded the prepayment amount, an initial invoice will be prepared and sent to the participant. Over the life of the project, additional invoices will be sent to cover ongoing costs. All payments are due within 45 days of receipt of the invoice. (35 Ill. Adm. Code 740.310, 740.315).
- Illinois EPA staff begins compiling personal services and other related costs from the Agency's data system approximately one month after the end of the billing quarter. For example, information on January through March costs is available for invoice preparation by Agency staff at the beginning of May. Because of the need to be accurate in compiling costs, the limited number of billing personnel, and the billing queue itself, this invoice preparation process can take up to 3 months to complete. Therefore, participants could receive an invoice, which details costs incurred, approximately 1 to 4 months after the end of the quarter. Due to staff resource limitations, you may not receive an invoice every quarter. If you are not invoiced, costs for your project will be rolled over into the next quarter.
- Once a No Further Remediation (NFR) Letter is issued, the RA will receive an invoice that includes a separate and distinct NFR Assessment Fee in addition to oversight and review costs. The NFR Assessment Fee will be equal to the actual Agency oversight cost of the project but cannot exceed $2,500.00 (35 Ill. Adm. Code 740.615(b).
- Within 35 days after the receipt of a request for payment, the RA may appeal to the Pollution Control Board. Appeals may be limited as provided in 35 Ill. Adm. Code 740.310(c). Appeals to the Board shall be in the manner provided for the review of permit decisions in Section 40 of the Environmental Protection Act. 415 ILCS 5/40.
For further information on the billing and invoice process, the RA may contact the Bureau of Land, Financial Management Unit at 217/558-0084.