Thermostat Wholesaler Requirements
Beginning July 1, 2011, thermostat wholesalers must:
- Participate as a collection site for out-of-service mercury switch thermostats.
- Use the containers provided by the manufacturer collection programs.
- Distribute to their customers educational materials developed by thermostat manufacturers.
- Comply with the requirements of the thermostat manufacturers collection programs.
- Handle and manage out-of-service mercury thermostats as universal waste.
Information on how to become a collection site is available on the Thermostat Recycling Corporation website.
Thermostat wholesalers not participating as a collection site may not sell or distribute any thermostat.