The St. Louis Smelting and Refining Site, formerly known as the Collinwoods subdivision site, is located on the northeast side of the city of Collinsville. The site encompasses Pine Lake, Pine Lake subdivision, portions of Collinwoods subdivision and portions of California Avenue. Between 1904 and 1933, the St. Louis Smelting and Refining Company operated a lead smelter at the location that is now home to the Collinwoods and Pine Lake subdivisions. Historical maps indicate that the facility's main operations occurred on approximately 24 acres east of Pine Lake and north of Pine Lake Road. In the spring of 2002, the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (Illinois EPA) conducted a site investigation in the area of the former St. Louis Smelting and Refining Company lead smelter. Analysis results indicate elevated levels of lead in the soil in some areas of the former smelter site.